Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Right Objective

I am currently collecting resumes and then interviewing candidates for my department. It's a little odd for me to be on this end of the job search process -- never did I think I would personally be interviewing anybody for anything. Yet here I am.

I never did like the whole job interviewing process (when I was the interviewee) -- it's bullshit, it's frustrating and it always gave me sweaty palms. But the worst part of it all, is updating my damn resume and then trying to come up with a creative cover letter or introductory email. It's all just so contrived.

But today, while reviewing resumes -- something caught my eye and made me literally laugh the fuck out loud. A nice, young man came up with a great "Objective" at the top of his resume. If anything about resumes and cover letters are contrived, it's the dumb-ass "objective", which I have, by the way, completely omitted from my lovely resume.

Objectives usually go something like this:
-- Seeking a challenging career with a progressive organization which will utilize my skills, abilities and education.
OR
-- To obtain a responsible and challenging position where my education and work experience will have valuable application.

But no, this kid got creative. His objective said, nice and simple:
"To pay off my student loans"

Isn't that fucking GREAT?!?!

I immediately picked up the phone and asked him if he was available to come in tomorrow morning for an interview. And I gotta say, I can't wait to meet him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter dreamweaver
hit counter script